According to a recent report published by the International Bulletin of Missionary Research, Christianity continues to thrive with about one third of the world population professing to be Christian. According to the research, it is estimated that there are about 2.3 billion Christians in the world with about 1.5 billion of them attending church on a regular basis. It is also estimated that there are 5 million congregations around the globe compared to about 400,000 in the year 1911.
The annual bulletin, which is released each year in January, also reveals that:
- The world population includes 1.6 billion Muslims, 951 million Hindus and 468 million Buddhists.
- Atheists are in decline globally with a current number of 137 million.
- Each day, about 80,000 Christians and 79,000 Muslims are added to the worldwide totals.
- The number of Atheists drops each day by about 300.
- Each day, 270 Christians are martyred for their faith.
- In 1900, about 9 million Christians resided in Africa, compared to 475 million today.
Click here for more information on the International Bulletin of Missionary Research.