Thursday, April 19, 2007

Expectations - are you exceeding them?


A post called More than I expected by Craig Groeschel on the LifeChurch blog Swerve got me thinking this morning. Craig writes about how a restaurant he and his wife visited completely exceeded their expectations. From the appetizers to the dessert, they were wowed by this restaurant.

The church we are attending took a similar approach to this past Easter. Following the service, my wife remarked to me it was the best worship service she has attended at that church, and we've been going there for a year. The church rented out the local high school so there would be enough room for all the guests who were likely to come to church that day (our church facility is maxed out on normal weekends). They sent mailings out to every home in the neighboring communities, inviting everyone to join us in worship. They rented a stage, projectors, screens, lights and sound systems, chairs to seat people and other things I'm probably forgetting. It was a serious investment in time, talent, money and energy.

When people not from our church arrived, I have to believe their expectations were not only met, but exceeded. That excites me. But it isn't the end of the story.

Now with that as the expectation from our guests, we have to figure out how to follow up with it, to keep at that level, to push ourselves to continue to exceed people's expectations.

Are we putting our best out there personally and corporately week to week? We should be, but I know I fail at this. Are we being intentional about improving? In the coming days and weeks I will be thinking about expectations, and both examining my own, as well as looking for ways I can exceed other people's. I challenge you to do the same.

Related Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: