Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Pastor James MacDonald with some preaching advice

Pastor James MacDonald of Harvest Bible Fellowship has some wisdom for new and young pastors about preaching. I'm totally feeling him on the time limit, as that is one I try to keep in mind (usually). This Fireproof series has killed my time limit, but I intend to keep my messages more compact for the rest of the summer. It is clear when I run over and loose my audience. Some of that is me, some of that is the culture of our church, but either way I have to keep it in mind as I prepare my sermon for the week. And he's right, preaching is definately learning via trial by fire, and thankfully my church has been quite gracious with me.

Pastor MacDonald writes:

One of my greatest joys these days is working with young preachers
trying to ‘fast track’ them through some of the lessons I have learned
through almost three decades of preaching. I was blessed to attend some
great schools, but truthfully most of the bit I have learned about
preaching came from painful Sunday afternoons of lamenting the ‘getting
it wrong’ and determining to do it better next time. I am humbled and
blessed by the thought that my lessons learned through much travail can
be given to hungry young preachers just starting out.

Ok so here’s some of the mistakes I made and observe:




No comments: