Thursday, March 05, 2009

Use RSS to subscribe to blogs and more!

If you are a regular reader of this blog, I just want to point you to my RSS feed - http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BecauseISaidSo

For those of you who aren’t subscribers yet, I’m about ready to save you a lot of time. How? Let me introduce you to Google Reader. I use it to track updates on close to 50 different websites each day. I get to choose what sites I subscribe to, and Google Reader lets me know whenever any of those sites has new content. No more surfing from site to site. All the content comes automatically to me. This is a huge time saver. If there is nothing new at a site, I don't need to check it, and RSS saves me from doing that. This saves me a ton of time and headache. It allows me to be a better steward of my time.

Ever wondered what this orange icon with the white radio wave-like symbol was all about? That’s an indication that the site you are visiting has an RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feed available. If you have signed up to use Google Reader, you can just click on that button anywhere on the Web and you’ll have the opportunity to subscribe to the content. It’s simple…really simple.

Now, are you ready to give it a test-drive? Let me give you two easy steps to get started.

1. Register for a Google Reader account.

2. Come back to my site and click the

That’s it. Now you know why they call it “really simple syndication.” Here’s the best part, you can also subscribe to other websites using your same Google Reader account.

I've tried other RSS Readers, and have found Google Reader to be my favorite by far. If you would like to preview it, Google has created a tour just for you - http://www.google.com/help/reader/tour.html

The following video give some good info on Google Reader and how to get started. There are certainly other RSS readers, so don't feel as if you must use Google Reader.


No comments: