Friday, August 26, 2005

Your thoughts on PETA...

David Martosko pointed me to the following article (of which the full article can be found HERE). As those who know me know, I am a committed meat eater. I don't like a lot of veggies (corn, peas, carrots, green beans, and a couple of others are good though) and thereby end up eating a lot of meat. I would like to get some feed back from anyone reading this as to their thoughts on the article, and maybe what your favorite veggie is and how to prepare it (maybe I'll find a new veggie that I like).

_______________________________

New CCF Report: PETA Offends People Of All Faiths

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has been widely criticized for its campaign comparing Nazi Holocaust victims to farm animals, its blind insistence that Jesus was a vegetarian, and it callous attempts to cheapen the symbols and rituals of Roman Catholicism. But a new report from the Center for Consumer Freedom indicates that these offensive gestures are just the tip of a larger iceberg. Click here to read our press release, and then download a copy of Holy Cows: How PETA twists religion to push animal "rights."

This eye-opening report includes an inventory of scripture
contradicting PETA's claim that only vegetarians can be observant
Christians, Jews, Mormons, and Muslims.


A limited number of bound, printed copies are available to religious leaders and credentialed journalists. Just drop us an e-mail, and include your affiliation and postal mailing address.

______________(for the rest go HERE)______________________

6 comments:

Chris Meirose said...

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

Some asparagus is good. One of my best experiences was grilled asparagus that has been pre-cooked in a pan with some home made smoked bacon. Just takes a few bits and pieces of bacon and the asparagus absorbs the smoky flavor. Salt and pepper, and move to the grill. The bacon fat keeps it from sticking/burning. Wow is that good stuff. Finish with a dab of butter and a squeeze of lemon. Give it a try if you have some good bacon. It only takes a piece or two of bacon, chopped up, to do a good sized pan of asparagus.

Big Chris

Bret Capranica said...

Just last night I had my favorite veggies - bell pepper, onion, mushroom - and the most important - GARLIC!! - all skewered next to huge pieces of MEAT (marinated tri-tip, please). My motto for a great meal - "something needs to have given its life for it to be most enjoyed."

Chris Meirose said...

I'm the kind of person who will include peppers in things I cook, and then dig them out before I eat it. Onions and Garlic are not really in my diet. I know there are bit flavoring things here and there, and I'm sure it adds good flavor. The problem for me is I have a very sensitive sense of taste, and garlic and onion is too strong. I generally avoid both, as it just ruins whatever I am eating for me because it burys a lot of other flavors in a lot of cases.

As for your skewers, skirt steak is excellent for marinating and skewering. It's low price and cooks up really well on a grill on skewers. It also is great for steak tacos/fajitas. Really a flavorful cut of meat, but cooks best when cut up into smaller pieces.

Chris Hafner said...

I can have some sympathy for animal rights, I suppose, but PETA is just nutty.

In Charlotte a few years ago they distributed "Unhappy Meals" to kids that had pictures of cows being ripped apart and images of the killing floors on the outside.

That seems a bit extreme - though the name "Unhappy Meal" is pretty funny.

Chris Meirose said...

Growing up, many of my friends parents worked for John Morrell's meat packing plant in Sioux Falls. Every day they did kill you could smell it half way across town. We all knew what was happening, and were happy to eat the end results. In fact I have an uncle who is a meat packer in Sioux City, Iowa still. Certainly it's not for the faint of heart. PETA is nutty, and they do more harm to their cause than good.

Chris Hafner said...

That's the thing - I know that terrible things are done to the cows that turn into hamburger, steak, etc.

But, I figure, if I don't eat beef then they're just dying in vain ...

:-D