Monday, August 08, 2005

Church Membership...and the Unchurched...

First, there is some good discussion going on over at the Founders Ministries Blog about church membership rolls in the Southern Baptist Conference. I am not a SBC member, but I appreciate their willingness to discuss this issue. They are not the only Denomination with bloated rolls. I was part of a church who went through the difficult task of culling the membership list a few years back. It was a worthwhile process, and it allowed the church to make contact with many who had moved over the years and still had fond memories of their "old" church. It was done in conjunction with the beginning stages of a Constitution re-write and piggy backed on the 75th anniversary celebration for that church. Many who were dropped off the membership rolls who still had strong feelings for that church came back for the celebration, some traveling half way across the USA.

Second, Dr. Albert Mohler had a great post today about the work Thom Rainer has done in studying the unchurched. I have enjoyed Dr. Rainer's work, and look forward to reading anything and everything he writes. If you have an interest in the unchurched (and you SHOULD!) then give it a look, and check out Thom Rainer's books and materials.

3 comments:

Chris Meirose said...

I agree with you Jason that churches do need to do a better job at this. The problem is (as I see it) is that for many churches, it has been priority #2005. "Real" ministry trumps things like this in general terms, and rarely does a church just have someone with the time in their schedule to undertake regular membership roll maintenence. This is of course because for many years, there was nobody holding churches accountable for this. When they are being held accountable, it moves up the priority chart. The secondary issue is that it is very time intesive upfront. The maintenence in most churches isn't all that tough, but when it has been neglected for many years it can be a lot of work.

I do think we need to be honest, especially if the church is publishing attendance numbers. The church needs to set the ethical standard.

Dave said...

Chris... Did you see that Rainer has been presented to the board of Lifeway Resources as their next president? The full board will vote in Sept! This would be a great move for Lieway, I just hope it doesn't slow down Thom's writing and research!

I am considering attending the Church Consultant track with the Rainier Group - just to better my ministry right here in my own church. Any thoughts on that?

Chris Meirose said...

Yeah, I had seen that he was taking over at Lifeway. I would guess the "presentation" ot the board is more of a formality at this point. I don't think they'd have put his name out there without strong confidence that he'll be approved.

I suppose it depends on what your needs are and some other stuff as to whether it would benefit you. I would guess that most pastors would get something very positive out of it though. Any chance to study with people of that caliber seems like a good investment of time and money to me. There's not always a good return, but the odds are definately in your favor. If you do go, send us some notes on it and maybe some others will be interested in it.