Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Job search and present ministry

Just a few ruminations from me today. I've been rolling over in my mind some job openings. There is one in particular that might be a good fit, but I have a few concerns I'll have to address with them before I decide if I might fit. I'll get back to that in a second though. What's really on my mind is the process (and integrity) of how do I handle this with my current church. I have a good relationship there, but it's not where I feel I need to be to continue to gain ministry skills. I've been there for 2.5 years as a non-paid staff person. I preach occassional, I've done college, Sr. High, and Jr. High ministry there, as well as some adult teaching. I've worked on developing leadership and vision with the staff, and many other things as needed. Basically I've filled in the cracks when and where needed. I plan on being open about it, but I'm not sure at what point in the process I should be involving them. I have applied for some other positions and been open about it, but those things probably wouldn't have kept me from my ministry there.

Ideally I would like to find an associate pastoral position in a Baptist General Conference church. I'm pretty OK with the Covenant churches and the E-Free churches as well, and possibly a Southern Baptist church as well. I suppose there are some other groups out there that I would fit with without compromising what I believe in, and I'll deal with that as it comes I guess. I am passionate about the lost sheep of the pews, those marginal and apathetic pew potatoes. I want to find ways to reach and excite them for the glory of Jesus. I'd love to find a ministry position where I can teach people how to lead, do some teaching and preaching, and improve church processes. I'm not gifted to lead worship, and while I have quite a bit of experience in youth ministry, I'm not necessarily gifted in that area. I'd love to work with young adults (18+), small groups, singles and a handful of other areas.

My added dillema is I'm somewhat limited in where I can live (though I'd make something work for the right position), so that I can finish school. Of course the implied component of that is a church that is willing to allow me to keep working on my education over the next year. I have 4 semsters left of schooling. Plus, I'm getting married in December, so that will further complicate things for me.

If you are so inclined, I'd appreciate your prayers for guidance from God in this area. I've been praying for quite some time, but no clarity yet.

2 comments:

KS said...

I will pray.

What about Christian and Missionary Alliance or Southern Baptist denominations?

Chris Meirose said...

I listed (and am willing to join) Southern Baptist, and I would consider CMA churches on a church by church basis. I've seen some great CMA churches that I probably would be willing to work for. One other I am considering currently is the ConservativeCongregational Christian Conference