Friday, May 06, 2005

In the beginning God created...

Yesterday I spent 5 hours working on a sermon I have to give this coming Monday as well as a sermon for Memorial Day weekend Sunday. Monday I will be preaching from Genesis 1:1, and Memorial Day weekend will be Ephesians 2:1-10. I was pretty burned out on writing by 4:00pm yesterday afternoon, but the great thing is that I was in such an amazing mood from my time spent writing/studying/thinking. Writing sermons is (at least for me) something that I have to work at. I find it both draining and energizing. Draining because of the importance of what I am writing and thinking about. The need for word smithing and phrase crafting can become a point I loose focus. I go in streaks it seems, sometimes things come very naturally, other times it fights me the whole way. Sermon writing is energizing in that I get to dig deep into the Word. I get to imagine how God's will might be served through this message. I get a peek into the work of the Spirit in my life as well as others through this process.

No comments: