Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Radicalis Conference 2010 - Day 1 notes

Rick Warren, Perry Noble, and Andy Stanley

RADICAL DEVOTION
Radicalis- Session 1
Latin: Radicalis = from the root
“RADICAL” MEANS ROOTED
“Just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to live in
obedience to him. Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from
him” Col. 2:6-7 (NLT)
“ May your roots go down deep into the soil of God's marvelous love. And may you
have the power to understand …how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love
really is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is so great you will never
fully understand it. THEN you will be filled with the fullness of life and power that
comes from God.” Eph. 3:17-19 (NLT)
“They don't have deep roots, so they don't last very long. As soon as life gets hard or
the message gets them in trouble, they give up.” Matt. 13:21 (CEV)
"BLESSED are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and
confidence. They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep
into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of
drought. Their leaves stay green, and they go right on producing delicious fruit.”
Jer. 17:7-8 (NLT)
“The surviving remnant of Judah shall again take root downward and bear fruit
upward.” 2 Kings 19:30 (NAS)
“Sink your roots in him and build on him.” Col. 2:7 (GW)
PUTTING FIRST THINGS FIRST
“Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of
them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: "Teacher, which is the
greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with
ALL your heart and with ALL your soul and with ALL your mind and ALL your
strength.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love
your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two
commandments." Matthew 22:34-40 (NIV)
"I don't want your sacrifices – I want your love! I don't want your offerings – I want
you to know me!” Hosea 6:6 (LB)
“I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance…You have persevered and
have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary. Yet I hold this
against you: You have forsaken your first love. Remember the height from which you
have fallen! Repent and DO the things you did at first.” Rev. 2:2-5 (NIV)
RADICALIS
MY DECLARATION OF ALLEGIANCE
“Today I am stepping across the line. I’m tired of waffling, and I’m finished with
wavering. I’ve made my choice; the verdict is in; and my decision is irrevocable.
I’m going God’s way. There is no turning back. I will live the rest of my life serving
God’s purposes with God’s people on God’s planet for God’s glory. I will use my
life to celebrate his presence, cultivate his character, participate in his family,
demonstrate his love and communicate his Word.
Since my past has been forgiven, and I have a purpose for living and a home
awaiting in heaven, I refuse to waste any more time or energy on shallow living,
petty thinking, trivial talking, thoughtless doing, useless regretting, hurtful
resenting, or faithless worrying. Instead I will magnify God, grow to maturity,
serve in ministry, and fulfill my mission in the membership of his family.
Because this life is preparation for the next, I will value worship over wealth, “we”
over “me”, character over comfort, service over status and people over
possessions, position and pleasure. I know what matters most and I will give it all
I’ve got. I will do the best I can with what I have for Jesus Christ today. I won’t be
captivated by culture, manipulated by critics, motivated by praise, frustrated by
problems, debilitated by temptation, or intimidated by the devil. I’ll keep running
my race with my eyes on the goal, not the sidelines or those running by me. When
times get tough and I get tired, I won’t back up, back off, back down, back out, or
backslide. I’ll just keep moving forward by God’s grace. I’m spirit-led, purposedriven
and mission-focused, so I can’t be bought, I will not be compromised, and I
shall not quit until I finish the race.
I’m a trophy of God’s amazing grace so I will be gracious to everyone, grateful for
every day and generous with everything that God entrusts to me. I am a radical in
the original sense of the word: rooted in Christ, rooted in love, and rooted in his
Word.
I hereby declare my supreme allegiance to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I say
however, whenever, wherever, and whatever you ask me to do, my answer is yes!
I’m ready. Anytime. Anyway. Whatever it takes Lord; whatever it takes! I want to
be used by you in such a way that on that final day I’ll hear you say, “Well done,
good and faithful one. Come on in and let the eternal party begin!”

Perry Noble – Radical Devotion

Acts 26


How radically devoted are we to Jesus? The more devoted we are the less likely we are to run from things that can’t hurt us but might scare us.

1. Radical devotion begins with an accurate view of Jesus
-we don’t have a resource problem, we have a devotion problem

2. Radical devotion calls us to action
-when the alarm goes off, you can’t pretend the alarm isn’t going off.
-you can’t just pray it away
-Acts 26:12 – Paul get up on your feet!



4. Radical Devotion will lead to the supernatural.
-Acts 26:17
-The church has become too dependent on the strategic at the cost of the supernatural.
-There’s not a formula that will grow your church, you focus and teach on Jesus and beg God for what only he can do.


Rick Warren
-Isaiah – God says “My word will not return void.”
1. The basis for radical preaching is the Great Commission




Andy Stanley

RADICAL PREACHING
Radicalis- Session 2
“My word will not return void” Isaiah 55:11
1. The BASIS for radical preaching is: the Great Commission
A Great Commitment to the Great Commandment and the Great Commission
will grow a Great Church
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, and TEACHING THEM TO OBEY everything I have commanded you."
Matt. 28:19-20
2. The GOAL of radical preaching is: obedience
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof,
for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
THAT the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.”
2 Tim. 3:16-17
"For…for…for…for… SO THAT!"
3, The RESULT of radical preaching is: A serving disciple
"(Christ) gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people
FOR WORKS OF SERVICE, so that the BODY OF CHRIST MAY BE BUILT UP
until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and
BECOME MATURE, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ!”
Eph 4:11-13
-you only believe the parts of the Bible you do.

o Jesus ALWAYS expected people to act/change as a result of his preaching
“Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you DO them.” John 13:17
"Jesus told him, "Go and DO likewise." Luke 10:37
“But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into PRACTICE
is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.” Matt. 7:26
“For whoever DOES the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."
Matt. 12:50
“Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven,
but only he who DOES the will of my Father who is in heaven.” Matt. 7:21
"If anyone loves me, he will OBEY my teaching…” John 14:23-24
"Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and OBEY it" Luke 11:28
ALL THE NEW TESTAMENT PREACHERS EMPHASIZED CONDUCT
JOHN THE BAPTIST:
“Do the things that show you really have changed your hearts and lives.” Matt. 3:8 (NCV)
JAMES:
“Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.”
James 1:22 (NIV)
“What's the use of saying you have faith if you don't prove it by your actions?
James 2:14 (NLT)
JOHN:
“It is by our actions that we know we are living in the truth.” 1 John 3:19 (NLT)
• You only believe the parts of the Bible you do
“The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives
forever.” 1 John 2:17 (NIV)
“Let us stop just saying we love each other; let us really show it by our actions.”
1 John 3:18 (NLT)
“We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands”. 1 John 2:3
PAUL:
“For though once your heart was full of darkness, now it is full of light from the Lord, and
your behavior should show it!” Eph. 5:8 (LB)
Paul’s Instruction for a Young Pastor:
"It is for you to preach the behavior which goes with healthy doctrine." Titus 2:1 (JB)
“You must tell everyone what to do to follow the true teaching.” (NCV)
“Tell believers to live the kind of life that goes along with accurate teachings.” (GWT)
TEN THINGS I’VE LEARNED ABOUT PREACHING FOR LIFE-CHANGE
1. ALL BEHAVIOR IS BASED on belief
“Be careful how you think; your life is shaped by your thoughts.” Pr 4:23 (TEV)
“Out of the mind come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual sins, stealing, lying,
and speaking evil of others.” Matt. 15:19 (NCV)
2. BEHIND EVERY SIN IS a lie that I am believing
"At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds
of passions and pleasures." Titus 3:3 (NIV)
“For you are the children of your father the Devil, and you love to do the evil things he
does. He… has always hated the truth. There is no truth in him. When he lies, it is
consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies.” John 8:44 (NLT)
3. CHANGE ALWAYS STARTS in the Mind
“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the
renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -
his good, pleasing and perfect will.” Romans 12:2 (NIV)
Think… Feel… Act
4. TO HELP PEOPLE CHANGE, WE MUST FIRST CHANGE their beliefs.
“Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:32 (NIV)
-question the lie.
5. TRYING TO CHANGE PEOPLE'S BEHAVIOR WITHOUT CHANGING THEIR
BELIEFS IS a waste of time
“What people say with their mouths comes from the way they think; and these are
the things that make people unclean.” Matt. 15:18 (NCV)
Changing the Autopilot vs Willpower
“This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh” Gal. 5:16
6. THE BIBLE TERM FOR "CHANGING YOUR MIND" IS repentence!
metanoia = "to change your mind!"
“I will teach you to respect me completely, and I will put a new way of thinking inside
you. I will take out the stubborn hearts of stone from your bodies, and I will give you
obedient hearts of flesh.” Ezekiel 36:26 (NCV)
7. YOU DON'T CHANGE PEOPLE'S MINDS, the applied word of God does
"We speak words given to us by the Spirit, using the Spirit's words to explain
spiritual truths." 1 Cor. 2:13b (NLT)
"The Spirit of the Lord spoke through me; his word was on my tongue.” 2 Sam. 23:2
“’Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the Lord.” Zech. 4:6
“Our weapons have power from God that can destroy the enemy's strong places.
We destroy people's arguments and every pretension that raises itself against the
knowledge of God. We capture every thought and make it give up and OBEY Christ.”
2 Cor. 10:4-5 (NCV)
8. CHANGING THE WAY I ACT IS THE fruit OF REPENTANCE.
“Produce fruit in keeping with repentance.” Matt. 3:8 (NIV)
“I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance
by their deeds.” Acts 26:20b (NIV)
9. THE DEEPEST PREACHING IS preaching for repentence
Repentance: the central message of NT preachers:
John-B "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near." Matt. 3:2
Jesus “From that time on Jesus began to preach, 'Repent…" Matt. 4:17
"Repent and believe the good news!" Mark 1:15
The 70 “They went out and preached that people should repent.” Mark 6:12
Peter "Repent and be baptized, every one of you…” Acts 2:38
Paul “I preached that they should repent…." Acts 26:20b
John “Repent!” Rev. 2-3
“Jesus told them, ‘This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on
the third day, and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all
nations…’” Luke 24:46-47 (NIV)
10. TO PRODUCE LASTING LIFE-CHANGE YOU MUST enlighten the mind, engage the emotions and challenge the will – that is radical preaching.
Every message comes down to 2 words: will you?
"Fear of man will prove to be a snare." Prov. 29:25 (NIV)
"Where there is no word from God, people are uncontrolled…" Prov. 29:18 (NCV)
Examples; www.saddlebackresources.com


Andy Stanley
If we aren’t careful, our approach to preaching will trump our goal in preaching.
-the 18 to 35 year olds in our country have abandoned the church – do you know why? They went to one.
-My goal is for people to live out their lives as if God is with them.
-On Sundays I want to lure people into the Scripture and then rub their noses in it, roll them around in it, and then take one sticky statement and jam it down into their heart and then send them out and set them loose.
5 questions Andy Stanley asks every week
-Who is this about…really?
-about me and it will fail.
-What is my burden?
-Dig until you find it
-Build everything around it
-Make it stick
-Where is the tension?
-most communicators miss this and it is why they are boring.
-What is the question this message answers?
-What is the tension this message resolves?
-What is the mystery this message solves?
-What is the issue this message addresses?
-Do I own this?
-Have I internalized this message?
-How hard will I have to think when I give this message?
-The best way to internalize a talk is to memorize pieces, not points
-Am I allowing the text to speak?
-I want my congregation to love the Bible.
-Bring your energy to the text
-Uncover the energy in the text

No comments: