Tuesday, February 09, 2010

N.O.W. show yet again it is out of touch

From Justin Taylor:


John McCormack writes:
The LA Times reports that the president of the National Organization for Women is still outrageously outraged over the incredibly tame Focus on the Family/Tebow ad last night:
NOW president Terry O’Neill said [the Tebow ad] glorified violence against women. “I am blown away at the celebration of the violence against women in it,” she said. “That’s what comes across to me even more strongly than the anti-abortion message. I myself am a survivor of domestic violence, and I don’t find it charming. I think CBS should be ashamed of itself.
The “violence against women” O’Neill refers to occurs when Tim Tebow tackles his mom Pam in an attempt at slapstick.
The offending ad is below. No word yet on whether or not NOW is equally outraged by the hyper-sexualized objectification of women in many of the other Super Bowl ads. Or whether or not they are bothered by the actual violence that is done to women who are just being born.

2 comments:

Jay McHue said...

Did you notice NOW is completely ignoring another Super Bowl ad in which another woman - Betty White - was tackled?

Chris Meirose said...

NOW is so out of touch that they have effectively made themselves completely irrelevant. I'm OK with that.