Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Just for fun: Napoleon Dynamite...

We used Napoleon Dynamite video clips as discussion starters and in the context of messages to illustrate points with our Jr. and Sr. High student ministries this past school year. The students loved it. Prior to using the clips, I was only distantly familiar with the movie. After a couple of weeks of clips, I had to the buy the movie. This link is to a collection of some of the most quoteable lines from the movie.

My personal favorite:
Napoleon Dynamite: You know, there's like a butt-load of gangs at this school. This one gang kept wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with a bo staff.

1 comment:

Chris Meirose said...

That's a great question Mark, and considering we did it in Jan-March I'm not sure on all the clips. We had one week about "Longing to belong" and we showed the intro where Napoleon and Pedro meet, and how Napoleon tries to puff himself up a bit in Pedro's eyes. We used the clip where Pedro ramps and then Napoleon racks himself, and used it to discuss something about taking risks in your faith and being willing to be hurt or embarrased for your faith. We used the Tots segment, but I don't remember how we tied it to scripture, and we used the dance segment (where he's learning to dance) and then showed the final dance segment to illustrate our need to spend time in the word (practice dancing) so when the time comes we are prepaired (school stage dance). There were one or two other clips we used, but I cannot come up with them off the top of my head. It was an awesome movie to use because the students absolutely loved it, told their friends we were using it, and invited their friends.