Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Sometimes we are humbled

I had a rough night last night. My last table at work was a bunch of inconsiderate people, who made a mess, were disrespectful, tried to walk on $46 of $70 of the check, kept me at work an hour after close, and then left a $3 tip for the 5 customers who were served. It's too bad people like these give others of their "group" a bad image.

My night only got worse. I knew I was low on gas, so I took the route home that I knew would take me past a gas station open that late at night (it being 11:15pm at this point). I ran out of gas driving North on 35W. I was able to get it fired once while coasting down the shoulder of the highway, but it only ran for 10 more seconds. I costed the better part of a mile, finally having to bring my truck to a stop near the off ramp of 35W and Co. Rd. E2 in Arden Hills/Mounds View area. I ended up walking the last half mile to the gas station that was my desitination, buying a gas can and a gallon of gas, and walking back to the truck. I then drove back to the station and finished filling my truck with petrol. Thankfully, gas was at $2.049 (what's with the 9/10 of a cent? Just give me a rounded number...) so it wasn't a complete bummer. I remember just a few years ago finding gas at $.99 regularly.

Then to top my night off, I could not fall asleep. I drifted off for a bit, but a stomach issue woke me up around 3:30am. I then struggled to fall back to sleep until after 4:30am. I hate being short on sleep, especially with my current schedule on Tuesdays. Oh well, I guess I have survived.

Today I had another new class for the first time. Understanding Congregational Systems with Dr. John Cionca. I had Dr. Cionca this past fall and really enjoyed his course. This looks to be a very challenging and interesting course with enormous practical implications for ministry. I am looking forward to the next 9 weeks.

No comments: