Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Plays and Church Discipline

This past Friday I had the fortune of attending the play "Brooklyn Bridge" at the Children's Theater Company in Minneapolis. The play was outstanding in it's acting, well written, and all around a ton of fun. I only wish I had seen it sooner so I could have reccommended it to more people. There are only two weeks left if you want to see it, and I highly suggest you do!

It is interesting how liberal theater companies tend to be. Last night I attended a cabaret put on by theater employees (and family members) for theater employees (and family). We were exposed to homosexuality as being acceptable, Buddhism, Atheism, New Age philosophy, Post-modernism, and a few other things I've probably forgotten. It seemed that the four of us likely were the only ones who do not embrace flaming liberalism. I always wonder if my "W '04" bumper sticker will still be on my vehicle after I park in their parking ramp, though so far, it hasn't been touched. It is interesting how far left most of the employees there tend to be, and how they all have chosen that as their career path. I wish there were more groups like Triple Espresso giving voice to something else. I know they are out there, people like Jeremiah and Vanessa Gamble from Theater for the Thirsty. I think unfortunately, for many years the Christian church has put this type of entertainment on the back burner. Clearly, just a few hundred years ago many plays were inspired by the Christian faith, or at least based on Christian values. Those seem to be fewer and fewer these days. I must admit though, the people performing were talented, and I did generally enjoy myself, even if I am unwilling to embrace many of the underlying messages the performances contained.

My church is working through Matthew 18 in learning how to lovingly discipline within the body of Christ. While this has been a painful and eye-opening process for many, I think it is clearly the best for all involved. Far too many churches refuse to keep their membership accountable to God's Word. Small things become large things, and it blows up in everyone's faces. I think I could spend hours writing about how NOT to do church, but I'll save that for some future time or for a book. Suffice it to say that I believe churches need to have a good understanding of Matthew 18 and then need to be willing to follow through with it.

No comments: