Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Mark Driscoll - 10 steps to destroying a denomination


I love Mark Driscoll in a monster truck-BBQing-dirt bike racing-praising Jesus kind of way. He ministers to me (at a distance) a couple of times a week through his podcasts (both video and audio) at Mars Hill Church in Seattle, WA. I also download his Reform and Resurge Conference video and audio, and have both of his books. I would say right now Mark Driscoll is probably the most influential person in my own day to day spiritual growth and development. Mark is also the president and co-founder of the Acts 29 church planting network.

Mark
has just created a post on his blog detailing a couple of denominations that are in a downward spiral. Included in that post is this great list of ten easy steps to destroying a denomination:

1. Have a low view of Scripture and, consequently, the deity of Jesus.

2. Deny that we were made male and female by God, equal but with distinct roles in the home and church.

3. Ordain liberal women in the name of tolerance and diversity.

4. Have those liberal women help to ordain gay men in the name of greater tolerance and diversity.

5. Accept the worship of other religions and their gods in the name of still greater tolerance and diversity.

6. Become so tolerant that you, in effect, become intolerant of people who love Jesus and read their Bible without scoffing and snickering.

7. End up with only a handful of people who are all the same kind of intolerant liberals in the name of tolerance and diversity.

8. Watch the Holy Spirit depart from your churches and take people who love Jesus with Him.

9. Fail to repent but become more committed than ever to your sinful agenda.

10. See Jesus pull rank, judge you, and send some of your pastors to hell to be tormented by Him forever because He will no longer tolerate your diversity.


Amen brother, AMEN!

Related Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 comments:

DLW said...

Sad and funny.

With a good deal of truth.

dlw

Chris Meirose said...

If you want to jump into the frey you can visit Justin Taylor's blog "Between Two Worlds" listed on the right side of my blog. There has been some extended discussion generated by this post from Mark Driscoll there.

Big Chris

Tye Male said...

hey Chris - I found your cool blog searching for Summit stuff. where did you get the template?

best wishes on your search for a position. email me if you get a chance. tye.male@newcovenantbible.org

Chris Meirose said...

Tye,
My template for my blog is really a hodge-podge no longer resembling what it originally looked like. In it's original form, it was one of the basic blogger templates, which I think they still make available. Over the past few years I have slowly tweaked it here and there, quite likely 50 or more small changes, to get to where it is today. Along the way I have learned a mis-matched system of html to modify the code in the template as I have needed. A lot of it was trial and error. Much was influenced by something I saw on someone else's blog and asked how they did it. I'd be happy to send you the raw text file of the code if you think it might enlighten you. I'm by no means an expert though. The form as you see it now is as it has been for almost a full year. I reached a point where I liked the template, and also where I was having less and less time to devote to the blog (thus the second half of my Summit review is yet to be typed up) so I haven't been tinkering much with the layout for quite some time. I do from time to time add and update links, but little else has changed on the template since last Novemberish.

Big Chris

Chris Meirose said...

Tye,
I tried to email the above to you, but it bounced back to me from the email address you have listed.

Big Chris

Tye Male said...

Chris - thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure I would know what to do with the code once I got it. I'll talk to some of the html guys around the church and see if I can get some help.

my email should have worked. Try this one: tye.male@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Wow. This makes me sick.