Thursday, April 21, 2005

H.B. London Jr. from Focus on the Family shared the following article this week in "The Pastor's Weekly Briefing."
---------------
"CHURCH CANDOR"

George Barna in a recent "State of the Church Message" wrote, "Bringing about genuine and lasting religious transformation requires leadership that is more aggressive than simply constructing bigger buildings, replacing the overhead projector with a big screen projector system, and introducing a few new programs ... Leaders must spearhead a thoroughly conceived and highly targeted plan that runs a significant level of risk ... Merely tinkering with the existing system is a recipe for irrelevance and abandonment."

Mr. Barna was alluding to the fact that people invest themselves in your congregation (i.e., time, money, human resources). What are their returns?

I am not a church-growth expert and, in fact, we do not give a lot of space to that subject in PWB, but I am an observer. I have noted several things of late in healthy churches of all sizes:

1. There is unity, but not uniformity.
2. They know their strengths and weaknesses and don't attempt to be something they are not.
3. They are not clones of any other church or program, but have discovered what God wants them to be.
4. The pastor is committed to longevity (5-7 years minimum) and has a shepherd's heart.
5. They are fiscally responsible & unimpressed with material images.
6. They have a vision beyond their property line.
7. They deal with contention in a pre-determined manner — they have a plan.
8. Worship is spirited, yet pleasant and well-presented.
9. Attendees are not simply "pew fillers" — they are cared for and engaged in ministry.
10. They are relevant to the culture and focused on biblical teaching and holy living.

The list I have shared is in no way exhaustive. Our space limits that. I am sometimes burdened by the lack of depth I find in the church world. I'm just being honest because I feel time is short. What say ye?

Have a blessed weekend. —HBL
---------

I have been studying Church Health quite a bit this semester (growth is the result of health, don't study growth, study health!) and I think HBL is spot on with his concern and I appreciate his sharing Barna with people.

3 comments:

KS said...

Chris,

Looking over HB London's list should be a no-brainer for Christians and Leaders who are living for Christ, whose nose is in the word, fellowshipping with our Lord and other believers.
Reminds me of Peter's list in 2 Peter 1 and Peter's admonition to remember otherwise you'd be near-sighted and forget what you learn.

Paul

Chris Meirose said...

I could probably put together a list that adds to HB London's, but his was a really good start. Some of the ones he lists seem like no-brainers, but it's amazing just how many churches miss even on the simple ones. I think it is important that the average church attender begin to take an interest in these kind of things. It is the laity that has the best opportunity to impact most of the things on this list. We as evangelicals who believe int he priesthood of all believers need to also incorporate these thoughts into our community.

KS said...

Chris,

Yeah, I am relearning the priesthood of the believers myself through my church's discipleship class - Experiencing God by Blackeby.

I do see their is a responsibility that the Pastor has to teach the full counsel of God's word and not just some pet doctrines. I am thankful for my previous pastors I have been under that teach that way. I became a hearer and a doer. That's why I can personnaly say HB London's list is a no-brainer.