Thursday, December 29, 2011

Black & Decker 18V Firestorm Drill Charger revisited

A commenter asked about this in my post comments from two years ago, so I thought I'd update it for them and anyone else interested.

Back in September 2009 I wrote about my charger for my Black & Decker 18V Firestorm Drill dieing (mine was the older post style battery).  When I inquired about getting a new charger, I discovered that Black and Decker had changed battery styles for their 18V drill and no longer made or serviced the long post style battery that I had.  After doing some research I discovered that Dewalt still used that exact battery in their tools, and that they made a charger that would still work for those batteries.  I got on Amazon.com and ordered one and a few days later it arrived.

My experience:

This charger is the solution to your problems if you like me find yourself needing a new charger for the old style batteries (or a charger for your Dewalt 18V tools).  I popped my first battery in and it quickly conditioned and recharged that battery to full.  Popped the second one in, and again it worked its magic.  The first couple of charges on the batteries seemed to run short, but after a handful of charges I noticed a distinct improvement in run time, as well as time they'd sit between charges.  Two years later I am still using these two batteries, and in the interim I added an 18V Dewalt Impact Wrench that uses these same batteries.  While I'm not claiming the batteries were as good as new, they were and are a LOT better than they were toward the end of the previous charger's life.  I've had my drill and batteries for quite a long time - I think I got the drill in 2003 for Christmas.  So 9ish years later they're still working hard.  That's impressive if you ask me.  And the cost of the charger was so much less than replacing the drill that it was a risk worth taking.

Needless to say, I'm pleased with the charger.

No comments: