Thursday, March 11, 2010

Bill Hybels on preaching sermons about sex and sexuality

Sermon Central has a great article by Bill Hybels, founding and lead pastor of Willow Creek Church in South Barrington, Il.  In this article Hybels shares some whys and how to's on preaching about sex and sexuality.  He gives some great wisdom and ideas.  Read the full article at Sermon Central.

The conclusion:


Preaching on the subject of sex is one of the hardest things to do, so it would be much easier to dodge it. Then I'd have no personal soul searching, no controversy, no possibility of offending people. But there would also be no rescuing people from the devastation of misused sexuality and no leading them to the joy of God's intentions for this gift.
I've discovered when I preach on sex, invariably I go home encouraged. The last time I spoke about marriage, I talked afterward with numerous couples who echoed what one said: "We're not going to settle anymore for less than a satisfactory sexual relationship. We're going to work on this, with a counselor if necessary, until we flourish in our physical relationship. We don't want to frustrate each other to the point that we have an affair we may never get over."
When I preach about sexual purity, I often hear from people who have been convicted by the Holy Spirit and have determined to put impurity away. I spoke with a new Christian from our fellowship who had been living with a woman for three years. I told him that as painful as it would be, he really had no other choice but to separate. I listened to him and prayed with him and promised to help him walk through the experience.
As he left, he said, "I can't thank you enough for forcing the issue, because there's one side of me that's screaming, I don't want to cut this off! and the other side of me says, But I have to. I just needed someone to put the pressure on me. Thanks for doing that."
That's what happens when we preach—humbly, prayerfully, and lovingly—the truth about sex.

No comments: