Monday, December 07, 2009

Social media and the church

From Ministry Best Practices:

Based on the most recent Pew Internet report, the median ages of some of the most popular social networks are:
Social networks are not for just for kids.

Given that fact, how is your church using social media for ministry throughout the church (kids and adults alike)?

_______________________________________

First Congregational Church of Waseca, MN (my church) has a pair of Facebook pages - both a Group Page and a Fan Page that are regularly used to share information and to connect people. I as their pastor regularly use Twitter (@mrclm) and tweet things related to church and my ministry in my personal account. We do not maintain a second account. I am also on LinkedIn, but rarely use it. LinkedIn has been primarily so I can connect anyone who might be searching for a job within my congregation. And honestly, MySpace is such a huge sucktastic mess that I won't use it. I set up a personal account years ago, but the interface is so poor, and the signal to noise ratio is so high. I refuse to waste any more of my time on MySpace.

1 comment:

High Calling Blogs said...

Chris, Meant to tell you that your post here inspired me to write about it over at HighCallingBlogs.com. Here's the link: http://tr.im/Hjoj

Great topic! :)

--Chris Cree