Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My wife did something dangerous

She gave me permission to spend some money on Amazon.com! We've been looking for a camcorder for quite some time. Originally I was looking at the under $400 range, then one night she insanely mentioned we could spend up to $1000 if it was the "100% right" camera. My heart skipped a beat, my palms started to sweat, and my fingers started to dance on the keyboard doing research, and I found the camera of my dreams - Canon VIXIA HFS100 HD Flash Memory Camcorder with 10x Optical Zoom - but I really felt this is more than we need or can afford. We really wanted HD, but we don't have an HD television. We do have a newer computer that should be able to work with the HD files, but we didn't have software. So I waited and kept searching scaled things back, and then found the Canon VIXIA HF200 HD Flash Memory Camcorder with 15x Optical Zoom which would be an unbelievable camera too. But I still felt like we don't need quite that much camera, though it would be really cool. The HD format needs a few more generations, and computers need to continue to advance for me to be able to do as much as I would like. So in the end we decided to move away from HD and bought the Canon FS200 Flash Memory Camcorder with 37x Optical Zoom (Evening Blue)
tonight.

The FS200 has a lot of options, with being flash memory based being an important thing for me. I love the size, and the zoom option as well. We did have to order some additional memory cards, but the SD Flash memory is the same that we use in our digital stills camera - Transcend 16 GB SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card. Additionally, by going with the MUCH cheaper FS200 we could afford the software for editing that I wanted - Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate & VideoStudio Pro X2 Bundle. Plus, by getting the cheaper camera, down the road we'll be able to get a better camera when the prices have come down, and when we can better afford that nice camera that we really want. We also got the Lowepro Edit 110 Camcorder Bag to protect our camera. All of this for the price of the middle range camera, and far less than the HFS100!

We'll be able to take great videos of our son Justice as he grows. We'll be able to edit them and photos to send to the grandparents so they can keep up with his growth and our lives. We also hope to use it some at our church, especially with the youth. I've never owned a camcorder before, so I am excited for the potential!

No comments: