Tuesday, June 23, 2009

John Ortberg on Vision and Methods

John Ortberg wrote the following on the Monvee blog:

Where this vision is lacking, we can try to push people into all kinds of methods of spiritual growth. We can flood them with classes and bible studies and small groups and services, but it is like pushing noodles up Mt Everest.

We might think of four quadrants:

  • Where people have methods but no correct vision, there is legalism.
  • Where people have vision but no wise methods, there is frustration.
  • Where people have neither vision nor methods, there is apathy.
  • Where people have right vision and effective methods—there is growth.
So I find myself thinking a lot about spiritual vision these days. It poses two questions:

Am I teaching this vision? I’m constantly trying to find ways to teach so that people understand that what Jesus offers really is the only way to what they want the most, in their best selves.

Am I living this life? There is no talk in the world captivating enough to speak louder than my life. It was Jesus’ life that made people want so desperately to hear Jesus’ message.

No comments: