Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Purpose Driven Network Summit - Session 3 Notes

Session #3 - Rick Warren

The hope of the world is the church. It isn’t politics, the media etc. We need to put the church back in its rightful place in the center of society.

How is it someone can be in the church their whole life time and not grow up?
-Eph 4:14
-Every single conflict in your church is caused by spiritual immaturity
-The proof of spiritual maturity is not seen in knowledge but in relationships
-1 Cor 13
-James 3:17-18
-Romans 8:29 –Spiritual maturity is Christ-likeness

There is a retention issue as well as a rebellion issue – people remember only 5-10% of things they hear 72 hours later.

It is a myth you can grow spiritually by just attending church.

Teaching less, but embedding into hearts more.

God has not called me to be original but to be effective.

If you can’t learn from other people you have an ego problem.

1 Peter 5:2
Proverbs 27:12 – know the condition of your flock

Do you know the 3 biggest sins in your church? That is what you should be preaching on.
-Why would God give you a message totally unrelated to the needs of your congregation?

You don’t have to have a perfect congregation to have a mature congregation.

As a pastor you live between the tension of the real and the ideal.

How do you know when a church is spiritually mature?
-mature churches have the same characteristics of a mature plant
– they bear fruit
-having babies – planting other churches
-Matthew 7:17-20
-John 15:7 – bring glory to God by bearing fruit
-God expects more than faithfulness, He expects fruitfulness.
-Jesus cursed the fig tree because it didn’t bear fruit.

How do we produce spiritual fruit in the lives of our church members?
-John 17 – 8 things Jesus did with his disciples to grow them

The Jesus Way
1. Jesus led them to salvation – the starting point of discipleship ministry is evangelism
2. Jesus taught them the Word of God – v. 8, 14 – Word of God is the foundation
3. Jesus prayed for them – Pray with them and for them
4. Jesus checked up on them – kept them accountable
5. Jesus sent them on mission – going on missions changes people
6. Jesus expected reproduction – John 17:20 -
7. Jesus focused on character – after we train them they need to be more like Jesus, otherwise we missed the point
8. Jesus loved them – v. 23 –
9. Jesus gave them an example to follow – model don’t tell
10. Jesus challenged them with a big purpose
11. Jesus encouraged them – a look, a word, a touch
12. Jesus trusted them – he gave them permission to serve
13. Jesus believed in them – I believe you can do this
14. Jesus treated them as equals

Rick Warren’s method on how to talk to anyone:
S – Story – tell me your story
P – Passion – what are you interested in – what gets you up or motivates you – what do you love to do?
E – Encourage – Do you know what you’d be good at?
A – Assistance – How can I help you out? How can I serve you? What can I do for you?
K – Knowledge – who do you know that I need to know, and what do you know that I need to know?

Maturity is always for ministry and mission – not an end to itself.

Most people do not have the faith to believe in the dream God has given them.


HOW JESUS MADE DISCIPLES
The Jesus Model – Part 3
Rick Warren
THE METHODS he USED
JOHN 17 and other passages
1. Jesus led them to salvation – the starting point of discipleship ministry is evangelism
“For you granted him authority over all men that he might give eternal life to all those you have given to him.”(v 2)
“I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world.” v6)
2. Jesus taught them the Word of God – v. 8, 14 – Word of God is the foundation
“For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them.” (v. 8)
“I have given them your word…” (vs 14)
3. Jesus prayed for them – Pray with them and for them
“I pray for them. I am not praying for the world but for those you have given me, for they are yours.” (v 9)
“I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail." Luke 22:32 (NIV)
"I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe
`in me because of their testimony.” John 17:20 (NLT)
4. Jesus checked up on them – kept them accountable
“While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the child of hell so that Scripture would be fulfilled.” (v 12)
5. . Jesus sent them on mission – going on missions changes people
“As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world.” (v 18)
6. Jesus expected reproduction – John 17:20 -
“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message.” (v 20)
7. Jesus focused on character – after we train them they need to be more like Jesus, otherwise we missed the point
“I have given them the glory that you gave me…” (v 22)
8. Jesus loved them – v. 23 –
“…you sent me and have loved them as you have loved me.” v 23)
9 Jesus gave them an example to follow – model don’t tell
“I have given you an example to follow. Now do as I have done to you.”
John 13:15 (NLT)
“Don't lord it over the people assigned to your care, but lead them by your
good example.” 1 Peter 5:3 (NLT)
“…set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in
purity.” 1 Tim. 4:12 (NIV)
10. Jesus challenged them with a big purpose
“Go and sell what you own and give the money to the poor, and you’ll have
treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.” Mark 10:21b (NJB)
“Jesus sent the disciples out with these instructions… “Go announce the
Kingdom of Heaven is near. Heal the sick, raise the dead, cure those with
leprosy, and cast out demons. Give as freely as you have received!”
Matt. 10:58 (NLT)
“Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father
and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I
have commanded you." Matt. 28:19-20 (NIV)
11. Jesus encouraged them – a look, a word, a touch
“Jesus looked steadily at him and he was filled with love for him.”
Mark 10:21a (NJB)
“Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even
greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.” John 14:12 (NIV)
“A word of encouragement does wonders” Pr. 12:25 (LB)
12. Jesus trusted them – he gave them permission to serve
“I am giving you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. Whatever you lock on
earth will be locked in heaven, and whatever you open on earth will be opened
in heaven." Matt. 16:19 (NLT)
“Whoever can be trusted with a little can also be trusted with a lot.”
Luke 16:10 (NCV)
“If you love someone ... you will always believe in him, and always expect the
best of him...” 1 Cor. 13:7 (LB)
13. Jesus believed in them – I believe you can do this
"It was because you do not have enough faith," answered Jesus. "I assure
you that if you have faith as small as a mustard seed… you could do
anything!" Matt. 17:20 (TEV)
“Don’t use harmful words... Use only helpful words, the kind that build up...”
Eph. 4:29 (GN)
14. Jesus treated them as equals
“I do not call you servants… Instead, I call you friends.” John 15:15 (TEV)
“When Christ, who is your real life, is revealed to the whole world, you will
share in all his glory!” Col. 3:4 (NLT)

No comments: