Monday, August 11, 2008

Sermon - Rethink: Sowing - Mark 4:3-9

My sermon from yesterday is posted on our church's web site. It was a good sermon. When I asked my wife for constructive criticism, she had none. That's a first. Maybe I should quit preaching, I've reached the mountain top! Or maybe not.

The sermon was on the Parable of the Sower, and I stuck to my text for about 75% of the time. I cut a bit of the ending (as posted) and added some other stuff there and in a few other places, but the posted version will give you the gist of what I was saying.


I will not be preaching the next two weeks. Our church will survive quite well with the incredibly gifted Brenton Balvin filling in for me. Brenton is a better preacher than me, so if you are looking for a good church the next two Sundays, check him out! My philosophy is that I want the best possible person to fill in when I'm gone. Even if they rock it better than me! I want my sheep to hear the Truth, to be challenged with God's Word, and I trust that will occur.

This coming Sunday I fly out to Boston for a week for a course called The Boston Seminar. Below is the reading list for this course. It's a boat load! There is one other reading beyond the below that didn't make it on the list, so you know what I'll be doing the rest of the week! Every spare moment from now to take off will be consumed with reading. I've gotten a good start on it, but will have to remain focused to get it all in.

Boston Seminar Reading List

Downloadable articles

The Cambridge Synod and Platform

The Covenant of Grace and Puritan Thought- Office will mail you a copy upon request

Towards a Ministry of Accountability: Why we should credential ministers and why we are afraid of it

Fellowship: The Neglected Focus of the Congregational Ellipse

Breaking Covenant: The Tensions in American Congregationalism that Resulted in the UCC Merger Conflict

Controversy in American Congregationalism: A Historical Perspective on Theological Issues at Stake in a Twenty-Year Struggle

Professional Code of Practice

From Call to Settlement

We Covenant with the World and With One Another

Books to Purchase- Click on link to take you to the bookstore

The Creeds and Platforms of Congregationalism

The Shaping of American Congregationalism

Yet More Light and Truth… Congregationalism, Covenant, and Community

Congregationalism: The Church, Local and Universal

The Congregational Way of Life

The Devoted Life: An Invitation to the Puritan Classics

A Past with a Future

Symposium V. The Church... Born for a Time Like This



Technorati Tags:

No comments: