Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith - Christian Coaches leading the way

"I'm proud to be the first African-American coach to win this," said Dungy during the trophy ceremony Sunday night, according to the Associated Press. "But again, more than anything, Lovie Smith and I are not only African-American but also Christian coaches, showing you can do it the Lord's way. We're more proud of that."
Tony Dungy is a member of Northside New Era Baptist Church. NNE seems to have a solid Evangelical basis from what I can gather from their website.

I'll admit that I thought the Colts would win, but that I was cheering for the Bears. I didn't think the bears were playing well enough on offense to overcome the new found defense for the Colts. When the Bears ran back the opening kickoff for a touchdown I had a moment of hope, but Peyton Manning and the Colts offense systematically crushed those hopes for most of the rest of the game. Rex Grossman didn't help much either.

I was asked by my pastor (Phil Print) about how I choose who to cheer for in the game. When I told him I have a system to determine who to cheer for, he looked at me like I was a bit strange, so I explained.

I am a Lions fan first. Yes, it's hard to admit that. The Lions are TERRIBLE. I became a Lions fan when they drafted Barry Sanders, and it has been tough to watch them since his retirement.
The Vikings by proxy are my second team. I live in St. Paul, so it's hard to not be somewhat influence by them with every game of theirs on local TV.

From there I cheer for any team in the old NFC Central over any other team. So I'll cheer for the Bears, Packers, Bucks over other teams. I prefer NFC teams over AFC teams with the exception of the Miami Dolphins (influenced by my uncle Bob) and the San Diego Chargers.

I use a similar system for the NBA and MLB.

Related Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

Dawg said...

Thanks for the post at my blog Chris!

Dungy and Smith are both class acts without question.

Speaking od fav teams first....I like you knew the Colts would win but was pulling for Da Bears all the way. My fav first team is the Dolphins. Like your fav, the Lions, my team has done poorly over the years since Marino's exit, but I still watch and cheer for them. I was born and raised in Miami Florida and was 11 years old when the Fish had their perfect year.

Keep up the good blogging!

Unknown said...

It is mystifying how so called Christians praise the 'godly' attributes of men who make a conscious choice to miss church on Sunday for the vast majority of their lives. Dungy and Smith have shown who and what they love the most, and that is not Jesus Christ. Read Hebrews 10:25 and try to squeeze these hypocrites in there.

Chris Meirose said...

Fred,
Could you show me where in scripture it says church is on Sunday? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Hebrews 10:25 says: Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Are you privy to the habits of either Tony Dungy or Lovie Smith? Yeah, I didn't think so.

So what you are saying is that you are ignorant of A) The meeting requirements set forth by scripture and B) The church going habits of both of these Christ professing men. Yet you still want to cast stones at them. Not exactly sure what basis you have, but you really need to re-examine your motives. Brother, the log is in your own eye.

Big Chris