Friday, August 18, 2006

The slow process of finding a ministry position

Thanks for all who have commented and prayed in the past few weeks. I am no longer in the running for the position I interviewed for two weeks ago. It is a real disappointment, in that it is an incredible church, a great staff, a growing area, and right in line with me theologically. The Sr. Pastor feels that they want someone who has more experience in preaching week to week, someone more refined in this than I am at this point in my life. I understand what he is saying, and trust that he knows what his church needs. It's one of those points where I accept that he is right, but it hurts nonetheless. I hate rejection. I hate failing. I suppose most people fall into those two categories, but I do especially. The multiplying factor is the heat that burns within me to serve in the local church. Yes, I understand volunteering (I've been doing that for 3.5 years!) but I would really like to move into a more permanent position. Somewhere we could develop some roots. Somewhere I could have more skin in the game. I want to be used by God. I can't say that my faithfulness is being put to the test, but it is definately frustrating. I have made some great contacts in the past few years, and I deeply hope they begin to pay dividends soon. I talked with another pastor friend at the Leadership Summit and he gave me a heads up that some things will be coming open in his church in the next year or so. This is a man I deeply respect, and a church doing great things for God/with God. I'm beginning to approach the point thought where I don't know that I can get my hope up. I don't want to become jaded, I want to stay fresh, and have that fire keep burning within me. It is a scary time knowing so much in my life will likely change in the next 12 months. But I will continue to put my faith in Christ, and will trust Him to light and lead me down the right path. Honestly, I don't know if I could find my way at the moment with a GPS unit, guide dogs, and a trail of bread crumbs. But wherever God leads, I will be happy to serve.

Related Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

5 comments:

DLW said...

Blessings man,

I know the feeling of mixture of passion for one's calling and anxiety over how things will work out...

I know that at First Baptist of Coon Rapids, they aren't terribly happy with their pastor. Unfortunately, he's done a pretty good job of setting things up so that it's hard to end his tenure and little strong Church leadership to put pressure on him. He's supposedly looking for another position, but I don't know how hard he is looking.

It's not the biggest church and has some serious inter-generational conflicts but it might be a start and worth making some contacts with the church leadership there. But I'd check with my uncle Rob Boyd at MBC first before making any contact with them.

I don't know if you've read my blog-post on Boyd's book yet, but it might be worth your while...
dlw

DLW said...

That's too bad that you can't attend WHC, at least for a spell.

Bests on finding a venue for your ministry!

dlw

wonderingfellow said...

I am a new reader of your blog. Did you attend Behtel Seminary. I am thinking about doing so and wondered if you had any advise or info about your experience?

Milton Stanley said...

Sorry you're having a tough time. I pray you'll be open to wherever God really leads you.

Chris Meirose said...

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers Milton, they are appreciated. I'm trusting in God. It is frustrating in that I want to get into ministry, but I understand He has a plan, and my impatience will do nothing to change that plan. I'm slowly working another potential lead, we'll see if the next one bears fruit.

Big Chris