Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Thinking of putting my resume out...


Well, perhaps a bit more than thinking. You can find my resume HERE. There are a couple of long shot ministry openings I plan on applying for. I've put this off for longer than I probably should, and so I am going to become more proactive in seeking church employment. I greatly appreciate the blessings God has showered on me with my job slinging fried fish guts, but it's not getting me a whole lot of ministry experience. There are some opportunities to share my faith, both with co-workers and customers, but it's always a bit dicey unless they bring up the subject. My limitation is mostly due to location, as I intend to finish my M.Div before moving away from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. If the right ministry position came along, I would move (with my beloved Banana of course!) just about anywhere, and then finish my M.Div via Bethel's distance program. Banana is ready for change (like our pending marriage isn't enough on it's own!), she's open to moving and finding new life experiences together, wherever God may lead.

I had an informal interview with a Covenant Church pastor last week during Willow Creek's Leadership Summit. There's nothing there at the moment, but a year from now it looks to be a great opportunity. If nothing changes in my life, I would love to interview in depth at that church and see where God is leading them. I spoke with a pastor friend who is the lead pastor of a 6500+ person church, and he mentioned a couple of positions, none of which seem to fully fit who God has created me to be. I don't know if I've set my standards too high, as that is a church I have dreamed about working for. I asked him to keep me in mind if something comes up or if he hears of someone needing a guy like me.

In the end it returns to reliance upon God's grace. I will continue to trust in Him, and will pray for His leading and blessing.

2 comments:

Chris Meirose said...

As a related note to this post, within 10 hours of posting my resume I got a phone call on it. An Army Chaplain recruiter. Good for him for doing his job well. I expressed to him that isn't an option for me at the moment, but that I have considered it, and would continue to consider it for some time down the road. I doubt I ever will do it, but I know of the option.

Chris Meirose said...

We did hire a new youth pastor 5 or 6 weeks ago. He's grrrrreat! He's not willing to settle for the staus quo, and he's already pushing our students to grow. I think there is a high likelihood I could have had the job, but I told them in August last year when we had to remove our previous youth pastor for moral failure, that I would NOT apply for the job.

Big Chris