Thursday, June 30, 2005

What happens when you abandon inerrancy...

Below is an example of what happens when you (or your church or denomination) abandons the inerrancy of scripture. (HT Albert Mohler)

Rev. John Thomas, General Minister and President of the United Church of Christ [UCC] said the following
Here is what I believe: I believe that the General Synod should affirm the rights of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender persons to have their covenanted relationships recognized by the state as marriages equal in name, privileges, and responsibilities to married heterosexual couples. I believe our local churches, as they are able, should move toward the development of marriage equality policies so that the same liturgical and pastoral blessing and discipline may be offered all entering into covenanted relationships.
This is the same denomination that is currently debating the lordship and divinity of Jesus Christ. This is not a Christian church, it is a social club, and I really wish they would drop the name of "Christ" from their denomination. They are a mess, and I am glad I am not part of it. The unfortunate thing is that the unsaved world often is not able or willing to differentiate between groups like this and true Biblical churches and people.

1 comment:

Chris Meirose said...

I'm quite aware of who Phelps is. I've actually seen him picket a time or two. I would distance myself from him as well. But I think a key difference (and this is in NO WAY an endorsement of Phelps and his tactics) is that one of these two groups has/is abandoning the fundamental tennent of being a Christian, the other is perverting things, but still recognizes Christ as Lord.