Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The most important hour in a pastor's week...

(I posted this a week ago, and wanted to see if it could generate a bit more discussion, so I'm moving it to the top of my blog again.)

For those who read this blog, I'd like you to give me your input on this subject. Let me set a few parameters for this though - Prayer, reading the Bible, and all things related to personal development of the pastor are not what I am talking about. I am talking about his function as a pastor, sheparding the flock. What is most important? I suspect there are a variety of opinions on this subject, and that there are possibly more than one "right" answer depending on the context and season of the particular church.

My thoughts currently are split between the half hour before and after church, and the weekly staff meeting. The time before and after church is where a lot of connections are made in most churches. This is probably more true in smaller churches though I suppose.

The staff meeting is where the pastor can put his vision into action through the staff of the church. While a pastor in a small church can keep his hands on each ministry, in larger churches that is simply not possible.

I'd like to spend more time fleshing these thoughts out, but I would first like some feedback (if anyone is reading and feels inclined to do so that is...) on what others think.

3 comments:

David said...

Chris,

I see what you're getting at here but am not sure, personally, how helpful it is to try and think in terms of 'the most important hour'. It's quite dramatic and might get a point home about the importance of whatever you opt for in that hour ... but can we really tie it down to 'one hour' as the most important time in the pastor's week?

I would think it might be best to think less dramatically, but no less seriously, about a range of the most important aspects of a pastor's week. Done well that shouldn't denigrate the vital seriousness of any of them but will protect an unhelpful over-emphasis on 'one key point' in the pastor's week. I'm not sure it's helpful to think of the pastor's time like this.

What do you think?

Chris Meirose said...

David,
Thanks for posting. I don't have an answer to this, this is my own curiosity at work. I was giving it some thought on my way home from my church's staff meeting yesterday, and the thought struck me that quite possibly that period (staff meeting) is the most important hour to a pastor in any given week. That spurred other thoughts, and off my mind went. That's why I included my first two initial thoughts on the subject, because I don't have an answer. I also think the process of getting input from others will give me a diverse enough collection of times (hopefully) that just one time will be ruled out. As I said, I suspect the context and season a church is in greatly affects this. A church planter might say something different than the Associate pastor on a big church staff. So we'll see (if anyone chooses to particpate beyond you and me!). Thanks for your thoughts and thanks for reading!

Chris

Chris Meirose said...

Prayer, reading the Bible, and all things related to personal development of the pastor are not what I am talking about.
I was specifically trying to keep out of the "personal" development side of the equation as I mentioned. I fully understand the need for personal spiritual development for the pastor. What I'm looking for is feedback for job related things.