Friday, April 15, 2005

ELCA going in the toilet -or- Actively Gay Clergy?

The bishops of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America — one of the nation's largest Protestant bodies with almost five million members — under a proposal advanced by a council Monday, could allow gay and lesbian clergy in committed relationships to become pastors of congregations.

Church policy currently bans gay and lesbian clergy who are involved with partners, but allows those who are celibate. The proposal, which would require a bishop to seek an exception to the ban for a particular candidate, will be voted on at the Evangelical Lutherans' annual assembly in August. The ELCA's 37-member council reaffirmed the church's stance against blessings for same-gender couples, declaring that the church does not officially approve of such ceremonies.

I grew up in the ELCA, and my parents and a number of extended family are still active in the ELCA. I have been couseling them to get out for a couple of years. The ELCA is a rotting mess. The issues with homosexual pastors is just the tip of the iceberg. Places like Luther Seminary are producing relativists who do not believe in absolutes, who are unwilling to be pinned down in their theology to the fact that Christ is the ONLY way to heaven. I was in the ELCA church until I was 18 (Ok, part of that time the ELCA wasn't yet the ELCA, but in a church that became an ELCA church), having been born, baptistized (sprinkled) and confirmed as a Lutheran. I did not have saving faith in spite of my almost never missing a Sunday church service or Sunday School for 13 years, going through the full confirmation process, and everything else associated with my time there. It wasn't until college where I met some Baptist who were living out their faith that I came to know Christ as Lord and Savior. I always had questions that could not be answered when I was Lutheran, and the theology of the Baptists made so much more sense to me.

Don't wait for the rats to jump off the ELCA boat, get off now, join a Bible believing Bible preaching Bible teaching denomination/church today! I can suggest a few, my personal favorite is the Baptist General Conference, though there are others that are great as well (my second choice would a tie between Covenant and E-Free churches).

No comments: