Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Mark Batterson's Four Dimentions of Courage

This post is borrowed from Pastor Mark Batterson. Mark pastors National Community Church, a multi-site church in Washington DC. They are a theater church. I've enjoyed his blog for some time, and have recently read his "In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day".

___________________________________

Few things are as energizing to me as hanging out with pastors. I love my tribe! And I really enjoy smaller contexts where we can dialog. This morning I talked about four dimensions of courage with a group of local pastors.

#1 The courage to be yourself

I started out in ministry trying to be a pastor. Now I'm trying to be myself. And there is a difference! I think part of spiritual growth is coming to terms with who you are and who you aren't. It takes tremendous courage to be transparent. But when a leader is authentic about their imperfections then it creates a culture where people are free to be themselves.

#2 The courage to preach the truth

We live in a culture where it is wrong to say something is wrong! And that's wrong. I'd rather be biblically correct than politically correct. And if we don't raise our voice and stand up for truth then we lose our right to complain!

#3 The courage to confront

Jesus was full of grace and truth. Grace means I'll love you no matter what. Truth means I'll be honest with you no matter what. I think courage is the combination of grace and truth.

#4 The courage to offend

Abraham Lincoln said, "You can please all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you cannot please all the people all of the time."
In other words, you're going to offend someone. And who you choose to offend will define your leadership. Jesus offended Pharisees!

The essence of spiritual courage is being more afraid of offending the Holy Spirit than pleasing people!

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: