Tuesday, April 15, 2008

ESV Study Bible - I want one

Pardon me while I wipe drool from my keyboard. Today the ESV Study Bible web page went live.

The ESV is my preferred translation of the Bible as I have mentioned before. I have one full sized ESV and a couple of pocket ESV's. My full sized ESV is great, but it has a binding problem whereby the cover has slowly begun to separate itself from the rest of the book. I have to hold it carefully when I read, or it'll tear completely free. It has been glued once, and it didn't really last long so I'm not doing it again.

The argument could be made "Don't you already have a Bible or twelve?". Yep. I do. I gave one away just last Monday. BTW I love giving Bibles away. I do have a number of older Bibles of mine in various states of usability. Some of those are in need of retiring, others I plan on giving away. I have a few Bibles that are just for reference - an NASB for example - that I want for the odd occasion that I want either a very literal or a highly interpreted version to cross reference. Yes I do have Bible software that does some of this, but not all the major versions are within my price range to add these to my software. I got a handful of Bibles at various times through Seminary too, ones that were being given away by publishers.

With all that said, I have nothing that comes close to the ESV Study Bible. I have an NIV Study Bible, but I've always felt that it fell short on the extras that a Study Bible should contain. A bunch of super tiny print foot notes, but not much else.

So when October comes, I'll be getting a new Bible. I suspect I'll order it online so I won't have to tent out in front of a Christian book store somewhere the night before, even though that does sound like a lot of fun.

Here's a few endorsements for the ESV Study Bible:

Visit the new website for the ESV Study Bible and learn more about this exciting new edition of the best old book.

John Piper:

The ESV is a dream come true for me. The rightful heir to a great line of historic translations, it provides the continuity and modern accuracy I longed for. Now the scope and theological faithfulness of the ESV Study Bible study notes is breathtaking. Oh how precious is the written Word of God.

Mark Driscoll:

The ESV Study Bible is the most important resource that has been given to the emerging generation of Bible students and teachers. The ESV Study Bible is the best. Period.

Joni Eareckson Tada:

The definitive clarity and beauty of the ESV Study Bible is extraordinary. In a world where words are distorted to mean anything, it is wonderful to have complete confidence in the reliability and truth of the Bible—so clearly and persuasively demonstrated by this world-class team of Bible scholars and teachers. For everyone who wants to understand God's word in a deeper way, the ESV Study Bible is an outstanding resource. I will be an avid user!

Randy Alcorn:

Wow! Concise, lucid, enlightening—the ESV Study Bible is an amazing resource. With its textual fidelity, doctrinal substance, and artistic beauty, the ESV Study Bible will be an immense help to all who hunger for God-breathed Scripture. I wholeheartedly recommend this exceptional resource.

C. J. Mahaney:

I can't imagine a greater gift to the body of Christ than the ESV Study Bible. It is a potent combination indeed: the reliability and readability of the ESV translation, supplemented by the best of modern and faithful scholarship, packaged in an accessible and attractive format. A Christian could make no wiser investment for himself, a pastor could recommend no better resource for his congregation.



Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Joey said...

My wife and I each have an ESV Reformation Study Bible. It has some good notes and I could probably use it more than I do, but this looks like it could be even better. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the link!

Chris Meirose said...

Is it sinful to lust for a Bible?

:-)

Big Chris